As many of you know, it is a project very close to my heart.
I had always planned on publishing Unfettered II. After all, I owe a great debt for the generosity shown me by my fellow writers and the readers who read Unfettered—those who eliminated my medical debt. Paying it forward was always going to happen. It’s how I was raised.
Then my mother was diagnosed with Stage IV stomach cancer in March this year and passed away forty-four days later, never able to leave the hospital. I was broken—truth be told, I still am—and her loss has left a big gaping hole in my heart. She was the woman who encouraged reading, who supported my writing when no one else did, and who helped save me twice from my own cancer. She was a remarkably kind woman in a world that has forgotten it is capable of that much goodness.
To celebrate and honor her life, I decided to create the best anthology that I could. Unfettered II is that book. The stories are all wonderful—quite possibly better than the first anthology. And they are all tales she would have loved.
Here is the line-up for Unfettered II:
- Foreword by Terry Brooks
- Bradley Beaulieu (Song of Shattered Sands)
- Jim Butcher (Dresden Files)
- Rachel Caine
- Sarah Beth Durst (The Queens of Renthia)
- David Farland (Runelords)
- Charlaine Harris
- Mark Lawrence (Gunlaw)
- Erin Lindsey (Bloodbound)
- Seanan McGuire
- Aidan Moher
- Naomi Novik
- Peter Orullian (Vault of Heaven)
- J.A. Pitts
- Anthony Ryan (Raven’s Shadow)
- Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive)
- Scott Sigler
- Shawn Speakman (Annwn Cycle)
- Michael J. Sullivan (The Legends of the First Empire)
- Django Wexler
- Janny Wufts (Wars of Light and Shadow
- Todd Lockwood (Cover Artist)
- Don Maitz (Interior Illustrator)
Todd Lockwood finished the wrap-around artwork over the weekend. I will show it in full in a few days. And it’s beautiful. Powerful. Based on my contribution to Unfettered II, it is also a tribute to my mother, who Lockwood had the pleasure of meeting on several occasions.
You can pre-order your copy by clicking HERE.
I am excited to fulfill this most basic of promises to her. And with your help, we can raise money to eliminate other author’s medical debt as well as fund cancer research.
She would be proud of that kind of legacy.